progressive failure analysis for solid elements & Homogenization

progressive failure analysis for solid elements & Homogenization

nguyen hung
Hello

I am using ABAQUS 2017 to analyze composite structures and I would like to
ask for your help:

Progressive failure analysis is available to apply to shell elements
(Hashin damage), but it seems do not work with solid elements: *Hashin
damage initiation criterion cannot be used with elements* xxx…

I also checked discussed topics related to this and find out that Abaqus
only support shell elements and to use solid elements, people need to build
their own UMAT for composite failure. Am I right?

Please check the attached figure.

*In addition*, I was informed that we can do homogenization inside ABAQUS, *is
it an additional plugin*? I use WCM plugin (wound composite material) and
it can handle some homogenization problems.

Best regards

Hung Nguyen

Brussels, Belgium

Re: progressive failure analysis for solid elements & Homogenization

Guo, Yongjin (Y)
As you already know, Hashin type damage inside Abaqus only supports plane stress cases. You need to code UMAT or VUMAT for a full 3D application. Please see SIMULIA Answer 3123 for a VUMAT code for unidirectional fiber type composite 3D damage. Hope this code could direct help you.

Homogenization inside ABAQUS is newly developed capability - that is the similar capability as you saw in WCM. You now can directly use this capability without WCM and it should be more powerful than that in WCM.

Best regards,
Yongjin

Yongjin Guo
Materials Engineering Center