Quantcast

partition 3D geometry

kiltormer
Hi
I am working with a complex 3D hollow geometry seen below. I want to partition it to apply different material properties in each segment, The partitions visible in the image are only on the face.
These are the only partitions possible on the geometry as cell have to be applied on a planar surface. Any suggestions of how to partition the cell similarly so I can apply differing material properties? or transfer the face partitions to the cell?

Regards

RE: partition 3D geometry

Joseba Ezenarro -LORTEK-
Hi Kiltomer,

You can transfer the face partition to the cell, using the option:

create partition/cell/extrudeedges.

You must define in the edges the face and after the direction of the
extrude.

Bye

I am working with a complex 3D hollow geometry seen below. I want to
partition it to apply different material properties in each segment, The
partitions visible in the image are only on the face.
These are the only partitions possible on the geometry as cell have to be
applied on a planar surface. Any suggestions of how to partition the cell
similarly so I can apply differing material properties? or transfer the face
partitions to the cell?

Regards

http://old.nabble.com/file/p29246963/3dshape.jpg

Re: partition 3D geometry

Alankar Alankar

In CAE, try this :

Go to Tools > Partition

Then choose Cells to be partitioned and Choose sweep faces as Method type.
Press Apply and it will ask you for the cell to be partitioned. And then
will ask you for the sweep direction which is usually orthogonal to the
face.

Regards,

Alankar

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM, kiltormer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I am working with a complex 3D hollow geometry seen below. I want to
> partition it to apply different material properties in each segment, The
> partitions visible in the image are only on the face.
> These are the only partitions possible on the geometry as cell have to be
> applied on a planar surface. Any suggestions of how to partition the cell
> similarly so I can apply differing material properties? or transfer the
> face
> partitions to the cell?
>
> Regards
>
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p29246963/3dshape.jpg

Re: partition 3D geometry

MMA666
hi

i saw your geometry, i think, it's beyond the capabilities of partitioning, but
it's NOT beyond the capabilites of Abaqus!!
i suggestion is : mesh the whole part-->make the elements lable visible
(view-->part display options-->mesh)--> then make sets of elements for each
partition (tools-->set-->create-->element)--> the from this address
(model-->edit keywords) ,assign the materials to each set..

hope it helps
Mehdi Memar Ardestani