mesh transition of fine one to a coarser one

mesh transition of fine one to a coarser one

Abaqus Users mailing list
Hi all
 in my model i need to mesh the contact point with very fine hex elements, then to reduce the number of elements i need coarser elements for the rest of the parts, how can i get the transition like the image in the link attached:
 http://imgur.com/a/aKhMk http://imgur.com/a/aKhMk

Re: mesh transition of fine one to a coarser one

Abaqus Users mailing list
in CAE the only way I've been able to do something like that (so clean and regular) is to manually partition the surface by sketching.  To just transition from the fine to the coarse mesh, I would partition your part into 9ths, then the upper left hand one into quarters again. Use a coarse element size for your global seed, define a local refined seed sizes where you want the refinement.  in the cells where you want the transition, make sure they are defined as a swept mesh and use advancing front, but make sure the "Used map meshing where appropriate" is not checked. mesh the regular parts first, and the transition areas last.