matching stress vs. strain relationship of simple steel block

matching stress vs. strain relationship of simple steel block

sseok

I am trying to reproduce the stress versus strain curve of a simple steel block subjected to uniaxial loading. Steel block has the width of 1 in. and length of 10 in, as seen below. The load is applied to the top surface. The element size of the mesh is 0.1 in. The problem is .. the stress-strain curve obtained from FEA didn't match the material response that I put as the input for simulation. The FEA one didn't even reach the ultimate stress of the material. It seemed that when the steel block started to yield at some region, stress wasn't distributed, rather being concentrated in that region. How can I solve this issue?

Thanks,

Seungwook

Re: matching stress vs. strain relationship of simple steel block

RyanEnos
hi sseok!
Explicit or Standard?

It looks like youre using explicit and have some big-time strain localization due to dynamic loading

Re: matching stress vs. strain relationship of simple steel block

sseok
Hi Ryan,

I used explicit, but the comparisons between kinetic and internal energies seemed to be ok.

Re: matching stress vs. strain relationship of simple steel block

sseok
This post was updated on .
Ryan,

Based on your comment, I did another simulation using standard. However, I still couldn't get to the ultimate strength.

That looks like it is because you are measuring engineering stress and strain
the input is true stress and strain

Re: matching stress vs. strain relationship of simple steel block

sseok
Thank you, Ryan. Solved!