how to apply tie or equivalent constraint to nodes then deactivate them one by one in each step

how to apply tie or equivalent constraint to nodes then deactivate them one by one in each step

zhen yang
Hi there,

I am working on a peeling problem between two complementary surfaces (tooth-shaped) using Abaqus. The realistic process of this problem is: two sheets with complementary surfaces are pushed against each other and moved to a wire. The wire serves as a wedge and gives a displacement(equal to the wire diameter) to one end of the interface. As a result, the interface will be opened up, the crack will extend until it arrests at an equilibrium position(like a crack growth problem).
I plan to tie the paired nodes along the interface together at the beginning of the analysis. At the second step, a fixed displacement boundary condition is applied to the first node on the interface. Then I want to remove the tie* constraint from the paired nodes on the interface, one in each step, to simulate the crack extension process.
I look up the user manual and have some ideas that may be applicable to this problem:
1.Apply *tie constraint to the interface. However, *tie constraint can not be deactivated during the later steps, once it is defined it will be there forever.
2.Apply contact pair to the interface with "no separation" boundary behavior. This is an approximated "tie constraint" but does not perfectly work for my case since two surfaces would slide a little bit.
So my question is: how do I tie the paired nodes together along the interface? Is it possible to remove the tie constraint from the paired nodes, one in each step?

I am grateful for your comments.

Zhen