error code 144

palavoz
Hi everybody,

Does anyone know what the system code 144 and why it occurs? I don;t
use subroutine or umat,vumat. can it be because of too many elements
and memory is not enough for this computation?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Re: error code 144

F.Caner
On Monday 02 February 2009 16:00:35 palavoz wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Does anyone know what the system code 144 and why it occurs? I don;t
> use subroutine or umat,vumat. can it be because of too many elements
> and memory is not enough for this computation?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards

In my experience, you can frequently get the system error code 144 if you intend to submit your job through the CAE, when you have a large mesh (although I almost always used UMAT or VUMAT as well).

Instead, get the *.inp file written using CAE and submit the job through the command line. You may be surprised to see that although you get error 144 through CAE, through the command line it works without problems.

Hope it helps,

FCC

--
Many a writer seems to think he is never profound except when he can't
understand his own meaning.

Shortcut URL to this page:

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[hidden email]
    mailto:[hidden email]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: error code 144

palavoz
Thanks Caner, but I'm already running the simulations as you explained :(  but in this simulation it's not working.

Thanks for your advice.
Cheers

> On Monday 02 February 2009 16:00:35 palavoz wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > Does anyone know what the system code 144 and why it
> occurs? I don;t
> > use subroutine or umat,vumat. can it be because of too
> many elements
> > and memory is not enough for this computation?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards
> >

> In my experience, you can frequently get the system error
> code 144 if you intend to submit your job through the CAE,
> when you have a large mesh (although I almost always used
> UMAT or VUMAT as well).
>
> Instead, get the *.inp file written using CAE and submit
> the job through the command line. You may be surprised to
> see that although you get error 144 through CAE, through the
> command line it works without problems.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> FCC
>
> --
> Many a writer seems to think he is never profound except
> when he can't
> understand his own meaning.
> -- George D. Prentice

> Shortcut URL to this page:

Re: error code 144

Saeed Asghari
You may have some error in your umat subroutine like division by zero, a negative number powering to a decimal numer, ......

Regards
Saeed

On Monday 02 February 2009 16:00:35 palavoz wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Does anyone know what the system code 144 and why it occurs? I don;t
> use subroutine or umat,vumat. can it be because of too many elements
> and memory is not enough for this computation?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards

In my experience, you can frequently get the system error code 144 if you
intend to submit your job through the CAE, when you have a large mesh (although
I almost always used UMAT or VUMAT as well).

Instead, get the *.inp file written using CAE and submit the job through the
command line. You may be surprised to see that although you get error 144
through CAE, through the command line it works without problems.

Hope it helps,

FCC

--
Many a writer seems to think he is never profound except when he can't
understand his own meaning.
                -- George D. Prentice

Shortcut URL to this page:

Re: error code 144

Frank Richter-2

Hello palavoz and FCC,

a request addressed to both of you:

palavoz: do you mind posting this fateful code here ? It would be intriguing to document error 144 in a simulation that does not involve any subroutine. So far the error was reported here only combined with (V)UMAT. Inspired by my boss, I am  messing around with 'user-defined average flux' and 'criterion for zero flux' (see Keyword manual '3.66 *CONTROLS: Reset solution controls') using a parametric study, but to no avail so far. I have little hope that other settings might improve the situation.

palavoz and FCC: could you post here the code of two nominally identical simulations that were submitted using these two methods ? There are definitely folks around here that are familiar only with either one of the methods. I personally write my inp-files in a text editor and submit the job on the command line. I never dealt with CAE in this context. Others might prefer submitting from CAE.

FCC replied: "although I almost always used UMAT or VUMAT as well". It would be most striking if you could post a code without subroutines; otherwise: do you mind disclosing your subroutine for this purpose ?
Comparing these two seemingly identical simulation would also be definitely instructive for documentation.

I am positive that everyone who was hit hard by error 14* will be extremely grateful to both of you.

A million thanks & kind regards,

Frank

Frank Richter
Institute of Materials Science
Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum
Bochum
Germany

Error 14x using verbose command

Frank Richter-2

Hello,

I found out that an analysis can be run from the command prompt, adding 'verbose=3'. The log file comes out with many more details. After crashing with error 142, the statement

Exception:  (<class driverExceptions.AbaqusExecutionError at 0x7FBD84B0>, <driverExceptions.AbaqusExecutionError instance at 0x7FE3B418>, <traceback object at 0x7FE3B4B8>)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Python/driver/driverAnalysis.py", line 172, in run
  File "Python/driver/driverStandard.py", line 92, in analyze
  File "Python/driver/driverStandard.py", line 112, in runStd
  File "Python/driver/driverPhase.py", line 299, in run
  File "Python/driver/driverPhase.py", line 292, in _run
AbaqusExecutionError: ('Abaqus/Standard Analysis', 1)
Abaqus/Analysis exited with errors

is appended. Can anyone tell me what that means ? Where can I find these files ? Do I need to modify them ? I'm not much of a computer nerd though.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

Frank
Frank Richter
Institute of Materials Science
Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum
Bochum
Germany

questions

Dave Franc
Hi All,

I am the new member of the group and a new user of ABAQUS. The questions that I would like to ask may be very simple but I am searching for answers.

- what is the measure of a good mesh? I mean what should be the proper element size for a accurate solution? for instance 1/100 or 1/1000 in each dimesion of a model?

- what can I do to make the simulation fast? what is the measure of a time scale for a good solution and what are the effects of it? If I am using temperature and strain dependent material model does it affect on the solution so much?

- how can I use the shear failure in the model? and where can I find related data for Titanium.

BR,

Dave Franc

Re: questions

Fahad almaskari
Hi Dave,

Most of modelling work is spend meshing the structure.  As we need to have accurate simulation at reasonable time. The more the elements you have, the longer it takes for the analysis to complete.

I don't think that there is a proper mesh size. You need to use your judgment.

Your mesh should provide a smooth transition between the stress and strain fields in your model.

You don¢t need to have a fine mesh if you expect uniform distributions of stresses and strains at some region. You need to have fine mesh if you structure has some discontinuity due to geometry or material properties or if you are concern with specific area such as concentrated load or contact.

A good check can be determined based on the number of distorted elements in the model after the deformation. I suggest you start with default global seeds and then gradually reduce the mesh size. Run the analysis and see if you have a big drop in stress and strain fields..

Best regards,
Fahad

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: questions

steve manifold
Proper mesh size depends on the strain gradient.  If there is no gradient, then one element can be good enough.  The stronger the gradient, the more mesh refinement is needed for accurate results.  The traditional method (if you had enough time on your hands) is to populate an area where a gradient is expected with a higher mesh density than elsewhere, run the analysis, remesh with a higher mesh density and see how much the solution changes.  Do that a couple of times until you feel the solution has converged (with respect to mesh density).  Nowadays with adaptive meshing procedures this can be done automatically by the FEA software.

Of course, if your geometry has such things as re-entrant corners modeled with a perfectly sharp corner, you will have a singularity in your solution and you can refine to the end of time and not converge, so taking time to ensure the geometry avoids such things saves a lot of time in the long run.

I had a guy working for me who just brute-forced all his analyses by making an incredibly refined mesh everywhere in the model, regardless of the gradient.  It took a while to disabuse him of that habit.

Steve Manifold
University of Texas

Re: Error 14x using verbose command

who.is.mailing.me
Hi Frank &Co,

> I found out that an analysis can be run from the command prompt,
> adding 'verbose=3'. The log file comes out with many more details.
> After crashing with error 142, the statement
>
> Exception:  (<class driverExceptions.AbaqusExecutionError at
0x7FBD84B0>, <driverExceptions.AbaqusExecutionError instance at
0x7FE3B418>, <traceback object at 0x7FE3B4B8>)

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "Python/driver/driverAnalysis.py", line 172, in run
>   File "Python/driver/driverStandard.py", line 92, in analyze
>   File "Python/driver/driverStandard.py", line 112, in runStd
>   File "Python/driver/driverPhase.py", line 299, in run
>   File "Python/driver/driverPhase.py", line 292, in _run
> AbaqusExecutionError: ('Abaqus/Standard Analysis', 1)
> Abaqus/Analysis exited with errors
>
> is appended. Can anyone tell me what that means?

The 0x codes refer to library entries without debugger symbols, i.e.
the core libraries that ABAQUS is using. No way to get past that from
the message. The rest of your traceback shows the Python call sequence
followed by ABAQUS to perform your analysis. What it tells you is that
the "run" function had a problem -- not the problem itself or its reason.

What this tells us is that, essentially, the "abaqus" command is a
"driver program", i.e. one that takes input and decides which
particular executable must perform a certain action. As the traceback
shows, it is written in Python, although I am sure that it will call
routines written in other languages (think Fortran, C++, and probably
plain C as well), most probably through libraries.

> Where can I find these files? Do I need to modify them ?

You can't find or modify them. The traceback refers to the *compiled*
code of the "abaqus" program itself, so it is not useful to any of us
users, only to Simulia. But it was a very good idea to post it here,
because they are watching... :-)

Hope this helps,
Fernando

Re: questions

who.is.mailing.me
Hi Dave,

> I am the new member of the group and a new user of ABAQUS.

Welcome

> - what is the measure of a good mesh? I mean what should be the
> proper element size for a accurate solution? for instance 1/100 or
> 1/1000 in each dimesion of a model?

The question is good. The answer is: it depends. If your material is
linear, in the small deformation & displacement range, and not subject
to bending, even a single element will do. More complicated load
cases, deformation and displacement ranges, interactions (contact,
actuators etc), and/or material behavior complicate matters
substantially.

> - what can I do to make the simulation fast? what is the measure of
a time scale for a good solution and what are the effects of it? If I
am using temperature and strain dependent material model does it
affect on the solution so much?

What do you mean with "fast"? It all depends on the size of the
problem and on how complicated (nonlinear) it is: linear problems
solve in one increment, nonlinear problems can take thousands. For
each increment, several iterations are necessary...

Intimately related with "fast" is the question of the hardware. As it
is a matter of size, the number of processors and most importantly the
amount of available memory and the speed of the IO system (the hard
disk) determine the time it takes to run a given simulation (the
variation can be huge, so no numbers here!)

> - how can I use the shear failure in the model?

Read the documentation that comes with ABAQUS (printed and/or in PDF
and HTML formats).

> and where can I find related data for Titanium.

You may want to search at scholar.google.com, you might find the
reference you are looking for.

Hope this helps,
Fernando

Re: Re: questions

Dave Franc

Dear Fernando,

Many thanks for your answer. I had a look for the shear failure data but I couldn't find anything at all. I don't know how I can find.
I have another question if you don't mind. where can I use kinematic contact algorithm, where can I use penalty contact algorithm? Frankly, I coulnd't undersand the tutorial for this part.I mean there isn't clear example for it and I don't know in a problem which is more suitable.

Regards,

Dave Franc

> > I am the new member of the group and a new user of
> ABAQUS.
>
> Welcome
>
> > - what is the measure of a good mesh? I mean what
> should be the
> > proper element size for a accurate solution? for
> instance 1/100 or
> > 1/1000 in each dimesion of a model?
>
> The question is good. The answer is: it depends. If your
> material is
> linear, in the small deformation & displacement range,
> and not subject
> to bending, even a single element will do. More complicated
> load
> cases, deformation and displacement ranges, interactions
> (contact,
> actuators etc), and/or material behavior complicate matters
> substantially.
>
> > - what can I do to make the simulation fast? what is
> the measure of
> a time scale for a good solution and what are the effects
> of it? If I
> am using temperature and strain dependent material model
> does it
> affect on the solution so much?
>
> What do you mean with "fast"? It all depends on
> the size of the
> problem and on how complicated (nonlinear) it is: linear
> problems
> solve in one increment, nonlinear problems can take
> thousands. For
> each increment, several iterations are necessary...
>
> Intimately related with "fast" is the question of
> the hardware. As it
> is a matter of size, the number of processors and most
> importantly the
> amount of available memory and the speed of the IO system
> (the hard
> disk) determine the time it takes to run a given simulation
> (the
> variation can be huge, so no numbers here!)
>
> > - how can I use the shear failure in the model?
>
> Read the documentation that comes with ABAQUS (printed
> and/or in PDF
> and HTML formats).
>
> > and where can I find related data for Titanium.
>
> You may want to search at scholar.google.com, you might
> find the
> reference you are looking for.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Fernando

Re: questions

who.is.mailing.me
Hi Dave,

> I had a look for the shear failure data but I couldn't find anything
> at all. I don't know how I can find.

You should probably start your search with more general terms. Maybe
start with "shear failure" or "failure titanium", then refine it with
the next term. Bibliography search is an art...

> I have another question if you don't mind. where can I use kinematic
> contact algorithm, where can I use penalty contact algorithm?
> Frankly, I coulnd't undersand the tutorial for this part.I mean
> there isn't clear example for it and I don't know in a problem which
> is more suitable.

You need to read the user manual for that (there is a whole chapter
about contact, full of advice and clear explanations). The tutorial
gives you only a hands-on approach on *how to use it*, not *when*...

Hope this helps,
Fernando

.f90 fortran extension

Gonzalez, Diego
Hi all,
The extension of my fortran files is .f90, though ABAQUS doesn't recognize them and I have to change them to .for. Does anybody know how to make ABAQUS recognize this extension .f90?
Thanks. Best regards,
Diego.

Re: .f90 fortran extension

Fahad almaskari
Hi,
try to change the extention to .for by using save as option or right click and then rename.

yoursFahad Almaskari

Re: .f90 fortran extension

Sohail Akhtar
Abaqus is very picky about fortran compiler. Run ABAQUS verification to check whether your fortran compiler is getting passed or failed. For ABAQUS 6.7, for example, Intel fortran 8.1 or 9.1 must be used.

Dr. Sohail

The extension of my fortran files is .f90, though ABAQUS doesn't recognize them and I have to change them to .for. Does anybody know how to make ABAQUS recognize this extension .f90?
Thanks. Best regards,
Diego.

error code 144

sebastien.gatouillat
Hi everybody,
I just discovered a way to have "error code 144". If you use a *USER MATERIAL, CONSTANTS=nb_constants in the input file and you don't enter nb_constants (8 per line), you will have this error.
I hope it will help.
Seb

Re: error code 144

Atanasov
This may occur if you have more than eight values on the *USER MATERIAL line. If you have more than eight, move the rest of them to new lines.