about the "plane stress/strain thickness" in 2D model

about the "plane stress/strain thickness" in 2D model

lei1024747@sina.com
Hello everybody,

      Thanks for your time and patience reading this email.

      Right now I'm trying to build a 2D model in ABAQUS, while I'm not sure why we should put in the parameter "plane stress/strain thickness"(see the picture below) in property module.

      But surely I've noticed that different "plane stress/strain thickness" doesn't significantly affect the normal stress results, while it does affect the shear stress strongly.

      Can anyone explain to me why this phenomenon occurs?

      Thanks a lot;-)

Frankey Zhang

Re: about the "plane stress/strain thickness" in 2D model

jeffergj
The thickness parameter scales all forces in the analysis.  Applied force
bc's for example are by default "per unit thickness", but if you provide a
thickness parameter the forces need to be scaled appropriately.
Likewise for output reaction forces, etc.

If you handle the bc's correctly the stress result should be exactly the
same, although I can imagine there are cases where the scaling impacts
convergence.