Select the elements at a section using Python script by accessing an odb file

Select the elements at a section using Python script by accessing an odb file

anuraj92
Dear abaqus users,

 I want to select all the elements at a cross section(or cut) of a 3D deformable part(C3D8 elements) using python scripting in Abaqus. I know the element which have maximum stress value by running a python script by accessing the odb file.

 Now, I need to create a section which include this element and plot the stress distribution. I know that this is possible by using view cut option in visualization module, but I need to automatize the process.

 Any useful comments are deeply appreciated.

 Thanks

Re: Select the elements at a section using Python script by accessing an odb file

Emin SUNBULOGLU

Hello,
Create a view definition
Include section cut settings, etc..
Arrange camera, zoom, scale, etc..
Save this file (generates an xml)
In a phyton loop, open odbs/arrange steps etc and recall this file (or partial contents)
You get what you need
Regards
ES

****************************
Dr. Emin SUNBULOGLU
Assoc. Prof.
Sent via Mobile Device

Sent: August 13, 2019 13:53
Subject: [Abaqus] Select the elements at a section using Python script by accessing an odb file

Dear abaqus users,

I want to select all the elements at a cross section(or cut) of a 3D deformable part(C3D8 elements) using python scripting in Abaqus. I know the element which have maximum stress value by running a python script by accessing the odb file.

Now, I need to create a section which include this element and plot the stress distribution. I know that this is possible by using view cut option in visualization module, but I need to automatize the process.

Any useful comments are deeply appreciated.

Thanks

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Doc. Dr. Emin Sunbuloglu" <[hidden email]>
Community email addresses:
  Post message: [hidden email]
  Subscribe:    [hidden email]
  Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
  List owner:   [hidden email]

Shortcut URL to this page:

.

__,_._,___

Re: Select the elements at a section using Python script by accessing an odb file

George Papazafeiropoulos
Dear anuraj92,

 A general tool for postprocessing Abaqus odb files is Abaqus2Matlab. This software involves the development of intermediate Python scripts while processing any odb file. These scripts remain available even after the processing time and therefore you can edit them and adjust them to your needs. If you have elementary knowledge of Matlab, you could use Abaqus2Matlab software as follows:

 1) Define an element set which contains all the elements of the cut (this is easy to do graphically in Abaqus/CAE)
 2) Run the Abaqus analysis in which the odb file is generated.
 3) Run Abaqus2Matlab code to extract the stresses for the specified element set from the odb file (this is very easy!). This will load the stress values in Matlab, but before this, the stress values are written in a text file through the execution of a Python script. You can edit the last to see how the whole procedure can be coded.

 Best regards,

George Papazafeiropoulos
Captain, Infrastructure Engineer, Hellenic Ministry of National Defence
Civil Engineer, M.Sc., Ph.D. candidate, NTUA
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Select the elements at a section using Python script by accessing an odb file

anuraj92
Dear Dr. Emin,

 Thank you for the feedback.

 I need to get the stress distribution vectors using matlab since view cut option in abaqus gives the stress tensor component vectors densely clustered when there are more integration points inside an element. What I am looking for is a python function in Abaqus which selects all the elements in a plane normal to a particular global axis and by inputting the distance of the plane from the global coordinate system while taking the odb file. From the selected elements, I will have the stress component values in .out format which were used in matlab for post processing.

 Thanks and regards,
 Anuraj

Re: Select the elements at a section using Python script by accessing an odb file

anuraj92
Dear George,

 Thank you for the comment.

 I am using abaqus2matlab tool in postprocessing the odb file. I know the particular element in the visualization module and hence I can not use the method to create element set prior in Abaqus/CAE. What I am looking for is a python function in abaqus used to select all the elements in a plane normal to a particular global axis and by inputting the distance of that plane from global coordinate system while accessing the odb file.

 Regards,
 Anuraj