Re: laminpanel_s4r5_prebuckle.inp

Greg Antal
As I said, ABAQUS will compute the effective *shell* properties from the
definition of the composite that you see in the .inp file. The *actual*
properties of the layers are are taken into account by laminated plate
theory.  It's right there in the Example Problems Manual for the example
you're using (at least it is in the v6.6 manual, which is the only one I
have access to at the moment).  It shows how the orthotropic ply
properties (E11, E22, v12, G12) are used to compute the stiffness terms
(Qij) in the ply coordinate system, then to convert those terms to the
laminate coordinate system (QBARij) based on each ply's orientation, and
how those terms are summed over all the plies to compute the *effective*
membrane stiffness terms (Aij), the bending stiffness terms (Dij), and
the membrane-bending coupling terms (Bij).  There's a lot more stuff
there than I can put into an email.

- Greg

Gregory W. Antal
Senior Technical Advisor