Nonlinear spring modification in Abaqus 2017 input file

Nonlinear spring modification in Abaqus 2017 input file

hoonillwon
Hi, I am a researcher who is a novice for ABAQUS/CAE.
 My purpose is to model horizontal non-linear spring in between base and concrete slab.
 So, first I modelled horizontal spring element in between the slab and soil base via ABAQUS/CAE and it appeared in the input file as below:
 *Spring, elset="Horizontal Spring-spring"
2
500.
*Element, type=Spring1, elset="Horizontal Spring-spring"
33121, 2
33122, 3
33123, 5
 And to modify it into nonlinear spring, I add nonlinear and dependencies command beside elset in "Spring line and add nonlinear relationship between force and relative displacement as follows:
 *Spring, elset="Horizontal Spring-spring", NONLINEAR, DEPENDENCIES=1
2
-6480000., -0.01
-3240000., -0.005
0., 0.
3240000., 0.005
6480000., 0.01
*Element, type=Spring1, elset="Horizontal Spring-spring"
33121, 2
33122, 3
33123, 5
 However, when I tried to import the input file to ABAQUS/CAE 2017, it showed the error message as such:
 WARNING: The following keywords/parameters are not yet supported by the input file reader:
*PREPRINT
*SPRING, DEPENDENCIES, NONLINEAR
 And the imported model seemed without horizontal springs which are supposed to be nonlinear.

 I tried several ways but results looked same.

 Would you please let me know why Abaqus input file reader cannot read nonlinear command modified in the input file even though those commands are described in the manual?
 Or just my modification is wrong?
 Thank you,
 Hoonill

Re: Nonlinear spring modification in Abaqus 2017 input file

Martin Baeker
Not all commands and options that can be specified in the inp-file can
be managed by CAE. The analysis manual should tell you whether this is
one of them.

Am 03 Nov 2018 23:11:51 +0000
schrieb "[hidden email] [Abaqus]" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, I am a researcher who is a novice for ABAQUS/CAE.
>  My purpose is to model horizontal non-linear spring in between base
> and concrete slab. So, first I modelled horizontal spring element in
> between the slab and soil base via ABAQUS/CAE and it appeared in the
> input file as below:
> *Spring, elset="Horizontal Spring-spring" 2 500.
> *Element, type=Spring1, elset="Horizontal Spring-spring"
> 33121, 2
> 33122, 3
> 33123, 5
>  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  And to modify it into nonlinear spring, I add nonlinear and
> dependencies command beside elset in "Spring line and add nonlinear
> relationship between force and relative displacement as follows:
> *Spring, elset="Horizontal Spring-spring", NONLINEAR, DEPENDENCIES=1
> 2 -6480000., -0.01 -3240000., -0.005
> 0., 0.
> 3240000., 0.005
> 6480000., 0.01
> *Element, type=Spring1, elset="Horizontal Spring-spring"
> 33121, 2
> 33122, 3
> 33123, 5
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  However, when I tried to import the input file to ABAQUS/CAE 2017,
> it showed the error message as such: WARNING: The following
> keywords/parameters are not yet supported by the input file reader:
> *PREPRINT *SPRING, DEPENDENCIES, NONLINEAR
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  And the imported model seemed without horizontal springs which are
> supposed to be nonlinear.
>
>  I tried several ways but results looked same.
>
>  Would you please let me know why Abaqus input file reader cannot
> read nonlinear command modified in the input file even though those
> commands are described in the manual? Or just my modification is
> wrong? Thank you, Hoonill

Re: Nonlinear spring modification in Abaqus 2017 input file

Guo, Yongjin (Y)
That means the nonlinear feature has not been implemented and supported in CAE. However, it IS supported by the Abaqus solver. Thus you can directly modify the INPUT file and run your simulation directly from the INPUT file (using the command line mode). NOT from within CAE. Hope this answered your question.

Best regards,
Yongjin

Yongjin Guo
Materials Engineering Center
Corporate R&D, Dow Chemical

Re: Nonlinear spring modification in Abaqus 2017 input file

phil
Dear Hoonill

 Note that nonlinear spring behaviour is not available in CAE.
 It can only be defined in the input file (or as a keyword edit in CAE). Alternatively you could define a nonlinear spring using a connector instead, which can be done using CAE. More information is given in the Abaqus Analysis User's Guide.

 Kind regards

 Phil Williams
 Simutech.com.tw

RE: Nonlinear spring modification in Abaqus 2017 input file

David Lindeman
You cannot import options that aren’t supported within Abaqus/CAE.  The Abaqus/CAE interface does not support the definition of field-dependent spring stiffnesses, and therefore it doesn’t support the import of that option.  In general, once you’ve edited the keyword file (the solver input file), you are done with Abaqus/CAE.  At this point all you can do is submit the job to the solver using the command line.  You can, of course, still postprocess the analysis using Abaqus/CAE.  Note also that you can use the keyword editing feature in Abaqus/CAE to make your modifications to the input file a feature of the Abaqus/CAE database.

Regards,

Dave Lindeman
Staff Scientist
Corporate Research Systems Laboratory
3M Center 235-3G-08
St. Paul, MN 55144
651-733-6383

------------------------------------------------------------! ---------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------! -----------------------------------------------------------
*PREPRINT
*SPRING, DEPENDENCIES, NONLINEAR

And the imported model seemed without horizontal springs which are supposed to be nonlinear.

I tr! ied several ways but results looked same.

Would you please let me know why Abaqus input file reader cannot read nonlinear command modified in the input file even though those commands are described in the manual?

Or just my modification is wrong?

Thank you,

Hoonill

________________________________

3M Notice: This communication is from an [EXTERNAL] sender.
If this email looks suspicious, do NOT click or open any links or attachments in the email. To report a suspicious email, click on the Report Phishing – PhishMe icon in the Outlook ribbon or forward this email using the report email as spam link in the text below.

Click here<https://spam.mmm.com/pem/pages/digestProcess/digestProcess.jsf?content=aedaaa864ecbae9467ed611d77662ec9d39e19e3d8ec02bdaa9532e3d14e426dc6c4ff5fb22097b592aab29dac82584f30f60c161a797f8d8d8a621478a2f25250f75f3a4b570e12125b08ef0dd8e5d1dbc7a045714a146255659761471276b9c37b570f20a98a734732948327931bff7ead5678f3f438e63f1e1ea099af916e17d051a1b719785d> to report this email as spam

Re: Nonlinear spring modification in Abaqus 2017 input file

hoonillwon
Dear Phil,
 Yes, so I tried to define nonlinear spring in the input file as described in Abaqus user's guide.

 However, after defining nonlinear spring in the input file, ABAQUS did not seem to read "nonlinear" keyword when the input file was imported.

 Do you have any idea for this issue?

 Thank you,

 Hoonill

---In [hidden email], <phil@...> wrote :

 Dear Hoonill

 Note that nonlinear spring behaviour is not available in CAE.
 It can only be defined in the input file (or as a keyword edit in CAE). Alternatively you could define a nonlinear spring using a connector instead, which can be done using CAE. More information is given in the Abaqus Analysis User's Guide.

 Kind regards

 Phil Williams
 Simutech.com.tw

Re: Nonlinear spring modification in Abaqus 2017 input file

thaibaoson
Hi Hoonil
The Spring element is Defined by using keyword editor. The following is an
example for Spring 2 element, you have to defined the spring stiffness and
nodes associated with it
those script is added before " *End Assembly "

*Spring, elset=Springs/Dashpots-1-spring, orientation="Datum csys-1",
nonlinear, dependencies = 1
3, 3
69., 0.0028
80220., 0.5695
100342..., 1.9997
103936., 4.0075
105184., 11.9973
*Element, type=Spring2, elset=Springs/Dashpots-1-spring
1, IBeam-1.272, Slab-1.82
2, IBeam-1.250, Slab-1.135
3, IBeam-1.228, Slab-1.64
4, IBeam-1.199, Slab-1.65
5, IBeam-1.195, Slab-1.52
6, IBeam-1.162, Slab-1.53
7, IBeam-1.139, Slab-1.40
8, IBeam-1.118, Slab-1.41
9, IBeam-1.91, Slab-1.28
10, IBeam-1.70, Slab-1.29
11, IBeam-1...45, Slab-1.16
12, IBeam-1.15, Slab-1.17
13, IBeam-1.14, Slab-1.2

Hopefully it will help

---In [hidden email], <phil@...> wrote :
Dear Hoonill

Note that nonlinear spring behaviour is not available in CAE.
It can only be defined in the input file (or as a keyword edit in CAE). Alternatively you could define a nonlinear spring using a connector instead, which can be done using CAE. More information is given in the Abaqus Analysis User's Guide.

!
Kind regards

Phil Williams
Simutech.com.tw

________________________________

Click here<https://spam.mmm.com/pem/pages/digestProcess/digestProcess.jsf?content=aedaaa864ecbae94434b7c4f60dbcbf0f59d40588df3c7832b38e88d4da5ba13c6c4ff5fb22097b592aab29dac82584f30f60c161a797f8d8d8a621478a2f25250f75f3a4b570e12125b08ef0dd8e5d1dbc7a045714a146255659761471276b9c37b570f20a98a734732948327931bff93d08ba9b6d561fe7c0899c2b004e54a17d051a1b719785d> to report this email as spam

Re: Nonlinear spring modification in Abaqus 2017 input file

phil
Dear Hoonill

 As David mentioned in his post, you cannot import something which is not available in CAE.
 If you have modified the input file, you can run this directly from the command line. When the job has finished you will still be able to see the results in Abaqus/Viewer or Visualisation module.
 Alternatively, you can make the changes as a keyword edit in CAE (In the main menu bar: Model > Edit keywords) which is a way to make manual changes to the input file within the CAE environment.

 Kind regards

 Phil Williams
 Simutech.com.tw