I’m trying to model a pneumatic structural element (e.g. abeam) in Abaqus but I’m getting nowhere.
The element has a certain thickness and has to be inflatedfrom the inside. It also has to have a small circular hole (for inflation) onone side which will remain open the entire period.
The steps that I’ve taken in Abaqus are as follows:
- Creating a part that is: 3D – deformable – shell – planar
- Creating surfaces to distinguish the inner and outer side of the member (to be used later on for loading the inner side of the beam)
- Creating material
- Creating section
- Assigning the section to the whole beam
- Creating an instance
- Creating a step
- Creating a fixed (encastre) boundary condition around the edges of the element
- Creating a load which should hopefully be applied on the inner surface of the whole section
- Seeding part instances
- Meshing part instances
- Creating a job and submitting it for analysis
Except for not knowing if I am actually applying the load onthe entire inner surface of the member, I am not sure how to place the circularhole on the beam when creating the part (for a shell element, drawing suchcircle makes it appear on both sides). Also, I get an error every time I submitthe job (Error in job Job-1: 6400 elements have missing property definitions.The elements have been identified in element set ErrElemMissingSection. JobJob-1: Analysis Input File Processor aborted due to errors.).
Thank you and really look forward to hearingyour response.
What about using pipe elements?
Abaqus provides pipe elements to model beams with pipe cross-sections that are subject to internal stress due to internal and/or external pressure loading. Abaqus provides a choice of two formulations for pipe elements:
1) The thin-walled formulation, where the hoop stress is assumed to be constant and the radial stress is neglected, is available in Abaqus/Explicit and Abaqus/Standard; and
2) The thick-walled formulation, where the hoop and radial stress vary through the cross-section, is available only in Abaqus/Standard
Check the Abaqus Documentation for more information on this subject.
Captain, Infrastructure Engineer, Hellenic Air Force
Civil Engineer, M.Sc., Ph.D. candidate, NTUA
Email: [hidden email]