Quantcast

Increasing element temperature as strain increases? Used to incorporate Soil shear modulus reduction

Increasing element temperature as strain increases? Used to incorporate Soil shear modulus reduction

melsawy
Hi everyone,

I am trying to incorporate the Shear modulus reduction curve. This is basically a curve that shows the relationship of the modulus with changing strain (modulus of soil decreases as strain increases).
First of all, is there a way to incorporate this without defining a umat? And if the only way is umat, where can I learn how to write a umat code?
I know there is a way to change the properties of elements for different temperatures, so I was thinking of checking there is a way to automatically make elements get hotter(increase temperature) as their strain increases? And then for each value of strain they will have different properties?

I am simulating soil-pile interaction of a pile embedded in soil (dry sand with 100% relative density) under dynamic loading (earthquake). During the time-history of the earthquake certain elements face high strain therefore, their properties (shear modulus) should decreased based on their strain.

Thanks in advance.