How to simulate a screw/nuts system

hevandro.moreira
Hello everyone,

 I'm trying to solve a dynamic explicit problem envolving a screw and nuts. Do you know how could I simulate this system? I need to apply a torque and to verify every kind of stress and strain on the threads.

 Thanks in advance.

RE: How to simulate a screw/nuts system

Lamula Lasse
Hi,

This is a tricky thing since it may be a highly nonlinear problem. I recommend reading the article: “Lacayo et. al, Nonlinear modeling of structures with bolted joints: A comparison of two approaches based on a time-domain and frequency-domain solver, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 114 (2019) 413–438”.

Best regards,
Lasse Lamula

I'm trying to solve a dynamic explicit problem envolving a screw and nuts. Do you know how could I simulate this system? I need to apply a torque and to verify every kind of stress and strain on the threads.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How to simulate a screw/nuts system

Frank Richter-2

Hello

try

User's Guide chapter 34.5.1 Prescribed assembly loads
CAE User's Guide 22. Bolt loads
Abaqus Example: 1.1.20 Axisymmetric analysis of a threaded connection

Fringe benefits:

1) Bolt Studio Extension: described in
http://imechanica.org/files/gm-boltstudio-suite-extensions-abaqus-cae-simulat-2009.pdf
GM BoltStudio: A Suite of Extensions to Abaqus/CAE for Simulating Bolted
Assemblies at General Motors
Cong Wang, Max Zhou, and Jon Dunn

2) There is also a special "Abaqus Extension for Threaded Connections"
available for Abaqus.

3) A formerly availabe site from Simulia was
http://simulia.custhelp.com. Regrettably, that site is down.
One could find there:
Answer ID 4999 : Plug-in for defining bolts, nuts and washers and
placing them into CAE
I don't know if that plug-in works with 'modern' Abaqus releases or not.

4) A link entitled "Abaqus Composite Tutorial - Creating a Bolt Preload
in 3 Easy Steps" is dead, but I saved it as html. Movie available at
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoxWHFo6Ln8

5)
http://www.simulia.com/download/scc-papers/Energy/boundary-condition-influences-shank-stress-in-3d-2008-F.pdf

6) Another file from a by now deceased link was disseminated in a
LinkedIn discussion, and described with: "In the effort of effectively
gaining knowledge within the world of finite element modeling,
Krabbenhøft has created a guide that shows, how to apply pretension on
several bolts by using Python scripting, applied directly from within
the CAE."

I never worked with any of that stuff.

Anyone wishing to have that stuff should send me an e-mail; I will send
that as a zip-file. The list rejects attachments.

Good luck

Frank