How to get section variables with shell's edges based surface?

How to get section variables with shell's edges based surface?

eimguimbert
Dear Abaqus users,

I'm trying to get forces carried by a set of S4 shells. I've created
a surface (name TOTO) based on the edges of this set of shells
(exactly with the identifiers E1, E2, E3, E4 and not with SPOS or
SNEG):

*SURFACE,TYPE=ELEMENT,NAME=TOTO
MYSET,E2

Then I request some variables about this surface:

**
*SECTION PRINT,NAME=MYSECTION,SURFACE=TOTO,AXES=GLOBAL

SOF,
**

Unfortunately I get this error message:
***ERROR: THE SURFACE USED TO DEFINE SECTION MYSECTION IS DEFINED
USING NON-CONTINUUM ELEMENTS. THIS IS NOT ALLOWED. PLEASE CHECK DATA.

Is it possible to get this output using edges based surface?
Apparently this option is available only with solid elements...
What should I do to correct that? The manual is not very explicit
about that.

Best regards,

Etienne

Community email addresses:
  Post message: [hidden email]
  Subscribe:    [hidden email]
  Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
  List owner:   [hidden email]

Shortcut URL to this page:
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: How to get section variables with shell's edges based surface?

Benz-2
Hi friend :)

It is a pity, but Abaqus is UNABLE to output section prints for
shell elements. It is OK only with 3D surfaces.
It is quite annoying, especially in Heat Transfer Analyses to get
the convective fluxes on shell regions...
What about SF or specific shell's output (maybe used with *GENERAL
SHELL SECTION ?) ?

C ya !

BenZ.

PS: greetings to "TOTO" ;)

--- In [hidden email], "eimguimbert" <eimguimbert@y...>
wrote:

> Dear Abaqus users,
>
> I'm trying to get forces carried by a set of S4 shells. I've
created

> a surface (name TOTO) based on the edges of this set of shells
> (exactly with the identifiers E1, E2, E3, E4 and not with SPOS or
> SNEG):
>
> *SURFACE,TYPE=ELEMENT,NAME=TOTO
> MYSET,E2
>
> Then I request some variables about this surface:

> **
> *SECTION PRINT,NAME=MYSECTION,SURFACE=TOTO,AXES=GLOBAL
>

> SOF,
> **
>
> Unfortunately I get this error message:
> ***ERROR: THE SURFACE USED TO DEFINE SECTION MYSECTION IS DEFINED
> USING NON-CONTINUUM ELEMENTS. THIS IS NOT ALLOWED. PLEASE CHECK
DATA.

> Is it possible to get this output using edges based surface?
> Apparently this option is available only with solid elements...
> What should I do to correct that? The manual is not very explicit
> about that.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Etienne

Community email addresses:
  Post message: [hidden email]
  Subscribe:    [hidden email]
  Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
  List owner:   [hidden email]

Shortcut URL to this page:
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: How to get section variables with shell's edges based surface?

eimguimbert
Hi Benjamin,

It's very annoying... I made a test with the SF output requested for
a set of S4 shells => values are not correct (comparatively with the
same calculation made with Nastran). I don't know what to do to get
such output...

Etienne

PS: I could have used "TITI" too ;)

--- In [hidden email], "BenZ" <benjamin_hagege@y...> wrote:

> Hi friend :)
>
> It is a pity, but Abaqus is UNABLE to output section prints for
> shell elements. It is OK only with 3D surfaces.
> It is quite annoying, especially in Heat Transfer Analyses to get
> the convective fluxes on shell regions...
> What about SF or specific shell's output (maybe used with *GENERAL
> SHELL SECTION ?) ?
>
> C ya !
>
> BenZ.
>
> PS: greetings to "TOTO" ;)
>
> --- In [hidden email], "eimguimbert" <eimguimbert@y...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Abaqus users,
> >
> > I'm trying to get forces carried by a set of S4 shells. I've
> created
> > a surface (name TOTO) based on the edges of this set of shells
> > (exactly with the identifiers E1, E2, E3, E4 and not with SPOS or
> > SNEG):
> >
> > *SURFACE,TYPE=ELEMENT,NAME=TOTO
> > MYSET,E2
> >
> > Then I request some variables about this surface:

> > **
> > *SECTION PRINT,NAME=MYSECTION,SURFACE=TOTO,AXES=GLOBAL
> >

> > SOF,
> > **
> >
> > Unfortunately I get this error message:
> > ***ERROR: THE SURFACE USED TO DEFINE SECTION MYSECTION IS DEFINED
> > USING NON-CONTINUUM ELEMENTS. THIS IS NOT ALLOWED. PLEASE CHECK
> DATA.
> >

> > Is it possible to get this output using edges based surface?
> > Apparently this option is available only with solid elements...
> > What should I do to correct that? The manual is not very explicit
> > about that.
> >

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Etienne

Community email addresses:
  Post message: [hidden email]
  Subscribe:    [hidden email]
  Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
  List owner:   [hidden email]

Shortcut URL to this page:
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: How to get section variables with shell's edges based surface?

nightzip-2
Yes. You are in luck. SF is able to give you section forces in the
shell elements. :)

--- In [hidden email], "BenZ" <benjamin_hagege@y...> wrote:

> Hi friend :)
>
> It is a pity, but Abaqus is UNABLE to output section prints for
> shell elements. It is OK only with 3D surfaces.
> It is quite annoying, especially in Heat Transfer Analyses to get
> the convective fluxes on shell regions...
> What about SF or specific shell's output (maybe used with *GENERAL
> SHELL SECTION ?) ?
>
> C ya !
>
> BenZ.
>
> PS: greetings to "TOTO" ;)
>
> --- In [hidden email], "eimguimbert" <eimguimbert@y...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Abaqus users,
> >
> > I'm trying to get forces carried by a set of S4 shells. I've
> created
> > a surface (name TOTO) based on the edges of this set of shells
> > (exactly with the identifiers E1, E2, E3, E4 and not with SPOS or
> > SNEG):
> >
> > *SURFACE,TYPE=ELEMENT,NAME=TOTO
> > MYSET,E2
> >
> > Then I request some variables about this surface:

> > **
> > *SECTION PRINT,NAME=MYSECTION,SURFACE=TOTO,AXES=GLOBAL
> >

> > SOF,
> > **
> >
> > Unfortunately I get this error message:
> > ***ERROR: THE SURFACE USED TO DEFINE SECTION MYSECTION IS DEFINED
> > USING NON-CONTINUUM ELEMENTS. THIS IS NOT ALLOWED. PLEASE CHECK
> DATA.
> >

> > Is it possible to get this output using edges based surface?
> > Apparently this option is available only with solid elements...
> > What should I do to correct that? The manual is not very explicit
> > about that.
> >

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Etienne

Community email addresses:
  Post message: [hidden email]
  Subscribe:    [hidden email]
  Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
  List owner:   [hidden email]

Shortcut URL to this page:
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: How to get section variables with shell's edges based surface?

Benz-2
By the way, for trusses you can use S11 that is the normal
(constant) force carried by the truss section, so that's the
internal force.

BenZ.

wrote:

> Hi Benjamin,
>
> It's very annoying... I made a test with the SF output requested
for
> a set of S4 shells => values are not correct (comparatively with
the
> same calculation made with Nastran). I don't know what to do to
get

> such output...
>
> Etienne
>
> PS: I could have used "TITI" too ;)
>

> --- In [hidden email], "BenZ" <benjamin_hagege@y...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi friend :)
> >
> > It is a pity, but Abaqus is UNABLE to output section prints for
> > shell elements. It is OK only with 3D surfaces.
> > It is quite annoying, especially in Heat Transfer Analyses to
get
> > the convective fluxes on shell regions...
> > What about SF or specific shell's output (maybe used with
*GENERAL

> > SHELL SECTION ?) ?
> >
> > C ya !
> >
> > BenZ.
> >
> > PS: greetings to "TOTO" ;)
> >
> > --- In [hidden email], "eimguimbert" <eimguimbert@y...>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear Abaqus users,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to get forces carried by a set of S4 shells. I've
> > created
> > > a surface (name TOTO) based on the edges of this set of shells
> > > (exactly with the identifiers E1, E2, E3, E4 and not with SPOS
or

> > > SNEG):
> > >
> > > *SURFACE,TYPE=ELEMENT,NAME=TOTO
> > > MYSET,E2
> > >
> > > Then I request some variables about this surface:

> > > **
> > > *SECTION PRINT,NAME=MYSECTION,SURFACE=TOTO,AXES=GLOBAL
> > >

> > > SOF,
> > > **
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I get this error message:
> > > ***ERROR: THE SURFACE USED TO DEFINE SECTION MYSECTION IS
DEFINED
> > > USING NON-CONTINUUM ELEMENTS. THIS IS NOT ALLOWED. PLEASE
CHECK
> > DATA.
> > >

> > > Is it possible to get this output using edges based surface?
> > > Apparently this option is available only with solid elements...
> > > What should I do to correct that? The manual is not very
explicit
> > > about that.
> > >

> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Etienne