FFT analysis

Vishal Sridhar
Hi all,
I have both experimental and numerical method to carry out the modal analysis of a composite structure. Experimentally i have completed it and i have also generated a FFT which shows peaks at the structure's natural frequencies. In Abaqus i carried out a modal analysis and i also got all the natural frequencies. But i do not know to plot a FFT plot from the data obtained from abaqus. Basically i need to correlate my experimental n numerical analysis for my further experiments. this is the first step.  It would be great if some on can help me out.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Vishal Sridhar

MSc. Aerospace Engineering
Delft University of Technology (TU Delft)
Delft, The Netherlands
Tel: + 31 641 211 895 (Netherlands)
email: [hidden email]

Re: FFT analysis

vikas_hcl2001
You may already tried or thought about this but I imagine exporting the data to MATLAB and doing the signal processing in MATLAB would be a straightforward option. Octave is an open source alternative to MATLAB, in case you do not have access to it.

By the way, the only example in ABAQUS that even mentions FFT is the "Time accurate laminar vortex shedding" in the Verification Manual. There is no mention of how ABAQUS/Viewer was used to compute the Fourier transform of a function.

Vikas