Embed truss elements to solid elements for heat transfer analysis

Embed truss elements to solid elements for heat transfer analysis

Dimitrios Skordas
Dear all,
I want to simulate a geothermal pile with the pipe loops incorporated inside.
In order to avoid computational time, I am trying to model the pipe as a truss element and embed it into the concrete pile which is modeled as a 3D solid element. I am not sure if the embedded element technique can be used for heat transfer analysis. Furthermore, if that technique can not be used for my case,  does anyone know can I make an interaction between the truss and the solid element in order to simulate the heat flow from the pipe to the surrounding concrete??
Thank you very much in advance,
Best regards.
Dimitris Skordas

Re: Embed truss elements to solid elements for heat transfer analysis

George Papazafeiropoulos
Dear Mr. Skordas,

 There are no diffusive heat transfer truss elements in Abaqus, and therefore, the embedded element technique cannot be used for heat transfer analysis. Besides this, I assume that the concrete piles need to include displacement and rotational degrees of freedom in the analysis. Heat transfer analysis cannot be used for models containing displacement and rotational degrees of freedom.

 However, there are coupled temperature-displacement solid elements (C3D8T) and coupled temperature-displacement truss elements (T3D2T), and therefore, you can perform a coupled temperature-displacement analysis (*COUPLED TEMPERATURE-DISPLACEMENT) using these truss elements embedded in the solid elements.

 I can share with you an example input file with which a simulation containing T3D2T elements embedded in C3D8T elements is performed.

 Best regards,

George Papazafeiropoulos
Captain, Infrastructure Engineer, Hellenic Air Force
Civil Engineer, M.Sc., Ph.D. candidate, NTUA
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Embed truss elements to solid elements for heat transfer analysis

Dimitrios Skordas
Dear Mr. Papazafeiropoulos,

Thank you very much for your response.

My problem is that I want to simulate the fluid flowing inside the pipes, which creates heat flow from the inlet to the outlet of the pipe. This can be simulated in Abaqus only by specifying the mass flow rate and only forced convection elements can be used. This is why I don’t know if I can use temperature-displacement elements for my problem.

However it would be very helpful if you shared with me your .inp file and try to find a solution using these elements.

Best regards,

Dimitris

Στάλθηκε από το iPhone μου

2 Οκτ 2018, 09:14, ο χρήστης «[hidden email] [Abaqus] <[hidden email]>» έγραψε:

> Dear Mr. Skordas,
>
> There are no diffusive heat transfer truss elements in Abaqus, and therefore, the embedded element technique cannot be used for heat transfer analysis. Besides this, I assume that the concrete piles need to include displacement and rotational degrees of freedom in the analysis. Heat transfer analysis cannot be used for models containing displacement and rotational degrees of freedom.
>
> However, there are coupled temperature-displacement solid elements (C3D8T) and coupled temperature-displacement truss elements (T3D2T), and therefore, you can perform a coupled temperature-displacement analysis (*COUPLED TEMPERATURE-DISPLACEMENT) using these truss elements embedded in the solid elements.
>
> I can share with you an example input file with which a simulation containing T3D2T elements embedded in C3D8T elements is performed.
>
> Best regards,
> George Papazafeiropoulos
> Captain, Infrastructure Engineer, Hellenic Air Force
> Civil Engineer, M.Sc., Ph.D. candidate, NTUA
> Email: [hidden email]

Re: Embed truss elements to solid elements for heat transfer analysis

suresh G
Dear all,
    Could you please help me in modeling Goldak's moving heat source using
DFLUX subroutine.
Thank you advance.

--
 with regards,
      G.Suresh,
      Research Scholar,
      Ph 7658988444.

Re: Embed truss elements to solid elements for heat transfer analysis

Frank Richter-2

http://imechanica.org/node/18499