Element Distortion error

sanjaytomarsrcem
Dear Abaqus users,

 I have been trying to investigate the impact behavior of plate structures using Abaqus/explicit with VUMAT subroutines. I have been encountering the following error from a very long period of time:

 The elements contained in element set ErrElemExcessDistortion-Step1 have distorted excessively.

 Print-out suppressed for subsequent distorted elements

 There are a total of 274 excessively distorted elements

 The elements contained in element set ErrElemExcessDistortion-Step1 have distorted excessively.

 Element type which I have been using is C3D8R: Linear 8 noded brick element.

 In order to resolve the issue, I have tried various mesh sizes, considered hourglass control, distortion control, element deletion, maximum degradation, step times, fixed incrementation. The problem runs without considering reduced integration but it never ends even in 10 days.

 I have seen that this is a common issue encountered by many researchers, and I have been trying it for a long time but still no luck

Re: Element Distortion error

sanjaytomarsrcem
Any Help Please ??

Re: Element Distortion error

prabhakaran
just modify your mesh into fine mesh. then run  ur job...

Re: Element Distortion error

sanjaytomarsrcem
I have already tried with the various number of seeds (More than 50 meshes have been tried). Simulation is running without reduced integration but deformation pattern is very erratic and simulation does not end even in 10 days on a work station. Can this be due to the error in VUMAT? Might be the failure criterion is not triggering at the appropriate place?

 Any suggestion?

Re: Element Distortion error

prabhakaran
did u try enabled hourglass control and element distortion control? use hourglass stifness and set value for element degradation as 0.99. try with this

Re: Element Distortion error

sanjaytomarsrcem
Yes, i have already tried these options with various element types. I have
attached the deformation patterns of the simulations below.

I request you to suggest me something in case it clicks in your mind after
watching the video.

--
Regards
Sanjay Singh Tomar