Connector failure

Gareth Jones-4
I am confused about the input values required for *connector failure.  The manuals are not very clear on this.  This option requires lower and upper bound values for the position failure criteria.  I am not sure what the upper and lower bounds are referring to.  I thought that the lower bound value would be negative (so failure occurs when the length of the connector is reduced by a certain amount) and the upper bound value would be positive (so failure occurs when the length of the connected increases by a certain amount.  However, my model did not behave as expected when I did this.

I am using connector elements to model bolts, so I want failure to occur when the displacement of the connector element exceeds a certain value.

I guess the answer is to try a simple model to find out for myself, but I am hoping that someone with more experience with connector elements can give me a quick answer.

Regards,

Gareth Jones
Vectra Group Ltd.

Vectra Group Ltd - Registered Office Europa House, 310 Europa Boulevard, Gemini Business Park, Westbrook, Warrington, WA5 7YQ - Registered in England and Wales - Company number 01803667

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message, and any accompanying attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain information that is classed as Company-in Confidence.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any accompanying attachments, is prohibited.

If you received this email message in error, please notify us immediately and erase all copies of this message and attachments.

Please note that Vectra Group Ltd monitors incoming and outgoing mail for compliance with its Email Policy. This will include scanning incoming and outgoing emails to detect viruses and any spam mail.
[Scanned by : MessageLabs]

Re: Connector failure

Bartosz Gradzik-1
Hi Gareth,

Lower and upper bound in connector failure definitions refer to current
connector length.
If initial length of your connector is 10 mm, then definition like:
*Connector failure
8.0, 13.0, ,
means that connector fail when compress to 8 mm (negative displacement by 2
mm) of length or when length increase to 13 mm (positive displacement by 3
mm).
If you define upper value smaller the initial length for example:
*Connector failure
8.0, 9.0, ,
then connector fail at the beginning of analysis.
Negative value doesn't work for lower bound, connector can not have negative
length, and if you define negative value for upper value then failure occur
at the beginning of analysis because initial lenght of connector is bigger
then any negative value.

Regards
Bartosz

>I am confused about the input values required for *connector failure.  The
>manuals are not very clear on this.  This option requires lower and upper
>bound values for the position failure criteria.  I am not sure what the
>upper and lower bounds are referring to.  I thought that the lower bound
>value would be negative (so failure occurs when the length of the connector
>is reduced by a certain amount) and the upper bound value would be positive
>(so failure occurs when the length of the connected increases by a certain
>amount.  However, my model did not behave as expected when I did this.
>
> I am using connector elements to model bolts, so I want failure to occur
> when the displacement of the connector element exceeds a certain value.
>
> I guess the answer is to try a simple model to find out for myself, but I
> am hoping that someone with more experience with connector elements can
> give me a quick answer.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gareth Jones
> Vectra Group Ltd.
>

> Vectra Group Ltd - Registered Office Europa House, 310 Europa Boulevard,
> Gemini Business Park, Westbrook, Warrington, WA5 7YQ - Registered in
> England and Wales - Company number 01803667
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
>
> This email message, and any accompanying attachments, is for the sole use
> of the intended
> recipient(s) and may contain information that is classed as Company-in
> Confidence.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
> any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any
> accompanying attachments, is prohibited.
>
> If you received this email message in error, please notify us immediately
> and erase all copies of this message and attachments.
>
> Please note that Vectra Group Ltd monitors incoming and outgoing mail for
> compliance with its Email Policy. This will include scanning incoming and
> outgoing emails to detect viruses and any spam mail.
> [Scanned by : MessageLabs]

Re: Connector failure

Lucifer
Hi Bartosz,
                   I am having solving a same kind of problem of connector
failure. I need to know whether it is necessary to define upper bound and
lower bound value for dislocation. i want to use only force /Moment criteria
for failure. what will happen if i put 0 in upper bound and lower bound for
dislocation. and provide only upper unbound force value.
one more thing when i do that CTF output vanishes from field output. how can
i fix this.

--
Sent from: http://abaqus-users.1086179.n5.nabble.com/