Can UEL element be used in contact problem?

Can UEL element be used in contact problem?

Abaqus Users mailing list
Dear Colleagues,

 I wonder whether user defined element can be used in problems with contact condition? If yes, can you share some references on that problem?

 Thanks and regards,
 Jay

Re: Can UEL element be used in contact problem?

Abaqus Users mailing list
Dear Jay,

Yes you can use UEL with contact problems! I just finish a four point bending simulation using UEL.

regards

Marcelo

________________________________
I wonder whether user defined element can be used in problems with contact condition? If yes, can you share some references on that problem?

Thanks and regards,

Jay

Re: Can UEL element be used in contact problem?

Abaqus Users mailing list
Dear Marcelo,

 Thanks.  How did you define the contact surface on user defined element? One way I think is by using keywords *surface, type=node.

 Regards,
 Jay

Re: Can UEL element be used in contact problem?

Abaqus Users mailing list
Dear Jay, I am sending to you the inp file. It works pretty well. Regards Marcelo

Re: Can UEL element be used in contact problem?

Abaqus Users mailing list
Hi Marcelo and jay, I am also facing the same problem. I am using UEL for bulk and cohesive elements both, and Abaqus apparently does not allow to use contact surfaces for UELs. If you guys have been able to solve the problem, can you please share the input file with me?
 Thanks,
 Gourab