Assigning material properties to different elements in abaqus model

Assigning material properties to different elements in abaqus model

w.wright1399
Hello

 I have an Abaqus CAE file with a simple model with 20 elements, I want to assign different material properties to each element, how would I go about doing this?

 Also would it be possible to do this from Matlab without having to open abaqus? I also have the the model as an .inp input file and .fil file, is there a way for Matlab to run the input file and edit the properties of each element?

 Any help would be much appreciated thank you
 Walter

Re: Assigning material properties to different elements in abaqus model

Abaqus Users mailing list
Hello Walter,

 You have to make a Matlab function which creates the Abaqus input file. If you download the truss optimization examples that are available for free at www.abaqus2matlab.com you will find such functions which are contained in them.
 In brief, you have to use the Matlab commands:

 fileID = fopen('Truss10ABAQUS.inp','wt');
fprintf(fileID,'XXXXXXXXXXXX\n');
<various lines to be printed in the Abaqus input file>
fclose(fileID);

 which prints XXXXXXXXXXXX and any other lines specified in the Abaqus input file.
Using a for loop will enable you to assign different properties to different elements automatically wihtout having to edit them manually.
 Feel free to contact the Abaqus2Matlab work team for any issue or problem regarding Abaqus and Matlab, as well as ways to provide linking between them.

 Best regards,

 George Papazafeiropoulos