Quantcast

3 D simulation of Nanoindentation

nanoi
Hello everyone,

I build a 3D model in abaqus to simulate nanoindentation.The job finished successfully, but the problem is when I run the odb file for output there is no stress distribution in the specimen around the tip.Its just like a knife poking a piece of butter.There is no stress distribution!!I did the nanoindentation simulation in 2D .It was ok then.But for 3D I am facing this problem.Anyone can help?
The boundary condition I used is:

For making the specimen fixed :u1=u2=u3=ur1=ur2=ur3=0
For making the tip indent in the specimen: only U2=-0.5
Interactions: type-surface to surface contact,master-indenter tip and slave specimen,node to surface discretization method, contact interaction properties-frictionless.

I am kind of new in 3D simulation.Could any one please help?Your help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Re: 3 D simulation of Nanoindentation

MarkH748
When I did it I didn't make the specimen completely encastre. held the sides and bottom. I also applied more boundary conditions to the indenter in order to stop it from moving to the side or rotating.

Re: 3 D simulation of Nanoindentation

nanoi
Thanks for replying.For indenter I have u2=0.5.and for the other u's I didn't put anything.So I guess my indenter will indent or move only in y direction and fixed in all other direction and it will not rotate too.Do you think the problem I have, may be related with the boundary conditions?Thanks.
MarkH748 wrote
When I did it I didn't make the specimen completely encastre. held the sides and bottom. I also applied more boundary conditions to the indenter in order to stop it from moving to the side or rotating.

Re: 3 D simulation of Nanoindentation

MarkH748
It should but I remember when I was doing it my indenter wouldn't move properly until I constrained it in every other direction so maybe try that.

nanoi wrote
MarkH748 wrote
When I did it I didn't make the specimen completely encastre. held the sides and bottom. I also applied more boundary conditions to the indenter in order to stop it from moving to the side or rotating.

Re: 3 D simulation of Nanoindentation

nanoi
Hello Mark,

Thanks for your reply.I don't have any problem with my indenter motion, its indenting the specimen pretty good.The only problem is there is no strees in the specimen when it is indenting.Its like a knife is indenting a chunk of butter!I constrained all the sides as you said, but still same result.I checked my material properties they are alright.Is that any problem with mesh?I used tetrahedral mesh.Thanks again.
MarkH748 wrote

MarkH748 wrote
When I did it I didn't make the specimen completely encastre. held the sides and bottom. I also applied more boundary conditions to the indenter in order to stop it from moving to the side or rotating.

Re: 3 D simulation of Nanoindentation

Libin

Did you resolve the issue that you had with the 3D indentation problem? If so, can you please tell me about the approach for solution?

Thanks,
Libin
Oklahoma State Univ. Tulsa